People Review The New Barbie Bodies
1. This January, Mattel announced three new Barbie body types for the first time. We asked adults who played with the original Barbie body type as a child to weigh in.
2. The three new body types, in all their glory: tall, curvy, and petite.
Initial reactions were mixed.
3. Playing with the Barbies felt easy and familiar to some, just like old times.
Now the Barbies just had more diverse body shapes.
4. Some of the new changes didn’t seem quite different enough.
5. Though it was cool to see some more realistic features on some of the Barbies, like natural hair…
6. …and the ability to stand on their own two feet, without shoes!
WHAT A CONCEPT!
7. The new body shapes allow different kinds of women to feel like there’s a Barbie that looks like them.
8. There are still a lot of unrepresented kinds of bodies, though!
(Plus-size bodies and disabilities, for a start, haven’t been represented by Barbie or any other mainstream doll.)
9. In the end, the reviewers felt mixed about the idea of identifying with a doll in the first place.
11. And most of all? Even if there’s no doll in the world that looks remotely like you, you are still beautiful.