4. Your poop is that normal brown color because of bile.
Plain old bile is a green liquid that our liver produces to break down fats, but as bile travels through our GI system it gets metabolized, and the byproduct is creates is stercobilin, which our bodies don’t need and gets promptly disposed of when we poop. Stercobilin is brown, and so are the poop poops.
9. Poop smells and looks pretty disgusting to us in part because we evolved to view poo as gross.
The aversion developed as a biological function to keep us away from infection and disease. (In other words: you smell poop and don’t want to play with it, which keeps you from contracting diseases from other people’s poop.)
12. And when you see a shooting star, it may actually be some astronaut poop.
When you’re in space, your poop gets stored in a bag. And when there’s a lot of bags, astronauts put all of the bags into an unmanned supply shit, they undock it, and it burns up in the atmosphere.
13. More and more research is starting to show that the bacteria in your gut can influence your stress levels and emotional behavior.
Studies have shown that if you tweak the kind of bacteria in your gut it can change your outlook. In rodents this was tested when beneficial bacteria was added and the rodents became more bold and confident, whereas negative bacteria caused the rodents to become more anxious. Leading researches to believe that our gut communicates to our brain on very important levels. (Trust your gut!)
17. When women are on their period their poop habits get royally fucked in part because of our uterus being so close to our colon (i.e. constipation, bloating, etc.).
Other reasons why our poop gets weird during that time of the month include hormones and diet, but get the full rundown here.