1. What was your first job? Delivering newspapers? Babysitting?
2. Over the weekend, a bunch of people started tweeting the list of their first seven jobs.
@HelloCullen worked 3rd shift at that abandoned hospital 11pm-7am. Had to make sure it wasn’t on fire. Made 6 rounds (about 7miles) nightly
— Cullen Crawford (@HelloCullen)
4. Like with any good hashtag, soon celebrities joined in on the trend. Turns out Stephen Colbert did a whole bunch of boring jobs long before he became the host of the Late Show.
#firstsevenjobs construction, bus boy, cafeteria server, library data entry, futon frame maker, futon salesman, waiter
— Stephen Colbert (@StephenAtHome)
5. Astronaut Buzz Aldrin gave us some serious career inspo when he said he used to spend his time washing dishes before walking on the moon.
Now Global Space Statesman!
— Buzz Aldrin (@TheRealBuzz)
6. House Of Cards creator Beau Willimon definitely paid his dues.
1. Movie Theater
3. Car Detailer
4. Plastics Factory
5. SAT Prep Teacher
7. Campaign staff…
— Beau Willimon (@BeauWillimon)
7. Model, Transparent actress, and trans activist Hari Nef showed us that sometimes those endless unpaid internships might just pay off.
tattoo shop reception
hair salon reception
toy store clerk
— hari nef (@harinef)
8. Actress and feminist activist Mira Sorvino demonstrated that sometimes you have to look around a little bit before figuring out your path.
ESL teacher in Beijing
— Mira Sorvino (@MiraSorvino)
9. YouTube star Dan Howell may have been half joking in his list, but he turned that quadruple expresso into six million followers, so that’s saying something.
lifeguard shadow 👀
axe dealer ⛏
panic alarm presser 🚨
table sleeper 💤
quadruple espresso maker ☕️
internet hobo 💻
— Dan Howell (@danisnotonfire)
10. There were some critics of course. This is the internet after all.
#firstsevenjobs is the ultimate humblebrag hashtag. Carry on.
— Alex Kantrowitz (@Kantrowitz)
11. And some jokers (and some smokers, and some late night tokers).
7. toker (night shift)
— daveweigel (@daveweigel)
1 create heavens, earth
2 sweep wind over waters
3 make light
4 make sky
5 make plants
6 make animals
7 accounts receivable
— Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff)
13. And then of course, things got political.
1 racist landlord
3 creepy pageant owner
5 fire people on tv
7 failed presidential nominee
— sean. (@SeanMcElwee)
#1 – 7 Screw over everyone for money and power
— Honest Hillary (@Honest_Hillary)