18 Beautiful African Prom Dresses That’ll Give You Goals
1. So first thing’s first. These girls are all killing it. But not all African fabrics are the same, nor are they all worn uniformly across Africa. According to African designer Busayo Olupona who designs for BusayoNYC, the prints featured in this post are primarily worn in West Africa.
As Busayo explains, most of the fabrics featured here are wax prints. “Wax print fabrics are 100% cotton, and have several interchangeable names including Dutch Wax Print, Wax Print or Ankara (which is the Nigerian term),” she told BuzzFeed.
This incredible couple is wearing kente cloth, btw, which is a type of fabric from the Ashanti tribe of Ghana. “Historically, the colors and patterns had particularly meaning, and fabric was woven but now it is machine printed.” explains Busayo. “What’s also interesting about these pictures is that men also getting in the game by introducing the fabric as accents to their outfits as ties, pocket square and cummerbund.”
3. This girl’s amazing mermaid style wax print gown which is totally on point.
4. This beauty, who paired her solid tank with a beautiful wax print skirt and a piece of stunning head jewelry.
6. This woman, whose amazing Gele is totally ALMOST stealing the show from her date’s gold shoes.
This look, says Busayo, “is reminiscent of what Nigerians call Aso-Ebi. It signifies that on an important occasion, the relatives of the celebrant will pick a fabric and all coordinate their outfit. They would have an outfit sewn and it is often a lace fabric like the one she is wearing here.”
For more gorgeous Aso-Ebi looks, check out this link.
9. These two beauties, which both totally fucking stunned.
The woman on the left is wearing wax print and the woman on the right is wearing a Kente design.
11. And this incredible beauty, who broke hearts in this amazingly colorful gown.
12. This woman, whose purple wax print gown was about as radiant as her smile.
13. This woman, whose Kente dress featured a mesmerizing patchwork of fabrics.
18. And this couple, who gave us total goals with their coordinated looks.