This Athlete Faced A Torrent Of Abuse After Calling Out Her Teammate For Wearing Blackface
1. Australian basketball star Liz Cambage has taken to Twitter to call out her teammate, Alice Kunek, for wearing blackface and posting it on her Instagram.
2. Cambage, who plays in the Chinese Women’s Basketball League, called out Kunek in a series of tweets, just six months before the Rio OIympics.
3. She also copped a fair amount of ridicule and abuse, being told to “grow up” and “get over” herself for pointing out the blackface.
5. Kunek responded to the controversy last night in a series of tweets, where she said she “didn’t judge others on the colour of their skin.”
2/4 People who know me, know that I don’t judge others based on the colour of their skin.
3/4 One of the things I love most about basketball is that I get to play with and against women from different countries ,
4/4 religions & upbringings and be united as a team. I never meant to offend any team mates, fans, or people in the community.
9. Former olympian Steph Rice commented on Kunek’s Instagram photo defending her use of blackface.
10. Cambage didn’t seem to bothered by the haters, though.
TBH I can’t really hear most of these tweets, I’ve got Formation playing too loud 💅🏾💅🏾💅🏾