This Real Life “Up” Hot Air Balloon Is Magical
1. Disney fanatics, hold on tight. There’s an actual life-size hot air balloon inspired by Up floating above Canberra right now.
Lukas Coch / AAPIMAGE
2. This is not a drill! The Bristol-made balloon arrived in Australia this weekend and joined 40 others at the 2016 Canberra Balloon Spectacular.
3. Officially known as Cameron TR-84, the balloon has 600 tiny balloons sewn into its outer skin. The main balloon is 84,000 cubic feet in size, which is considered small compared to standard balloons.
4. In true Carl and Ellie spirit, Cameron Balloons pilot Simon Askey told BuzzFeed they have plans to travel the world with this balloon.
“It was created to support the Disney/Pixar movie, Up. And we’re hoping to send the balloon to Japan later this year,” Askey said.
5. And maybe one day, the balloon can visit Angel Falls itself, the destination that inspired the movie’s Paradise Falls.
Matt Cardy / Getty Images
6. In the meantime, you can catch it in Canberra between March 12 and 20, before it takes off on its next adventure.