1. Last night, Uzo Aduba, known for playing “Crazy Eyes” on Orange is the New Black, starred in a special 22-minute episode as Steven Universe’s newest Crystal Gem…Bismuth.
2. Fans had been theorizing about the gem in the bubble ever since we saw her in “Lion 3: Straight to Video.”
Friend or foe? Accidental or intentional? Was that gem put there to be protected, or was she put there to protect others from her?
3. And lo and behold, the bubbled gem was Bismuth — a Crystal Gem from the rebellion era, warrior blacksmith, and bonafide badass.
Bismuth the bismith, amirite?
5. Without too much difficulty, Bismuth won us over with her enthusiasm for trying all of the new things she missed over the last 5,000 years.
What other gem (besides Amethyst) would be willing to EAT pizza within minutes of being introduced to it?!
But Uzo flexed her considerable talent to show us how someone we wanted so badly to love could be led astray by missing the difference between justice and revenge.
6. Bismuth tried to hurt and betray. Bismuth also was hurt and betrayed by Rose Quartz — the gem who preached choice and individuality, and then bubbled Bismuth away as if she were disposable.
The hurt from that betrayal came through in the writing. It came through in Bismuth’s eyes, but it also came through powerfully in her voice. No one deserves to go unmourned or forgotten.
8. Bismuth was right. Steven is the better gem.
Even if it hurts him to think of his involvement in this, Steven still tells the rest of the gems — and that’s something not even his mother could do.
9. Thank you Uzo for simultaneously breaking our hearts and filling them with joy. Here’s to hoping Bismuth will get a redemption arc so we can hear more of you.
It really was a pleasure doing Bismuth with you.